Building or Renovating
Whether you are a building a new structure or making changes to an existing one, adding a fence, upgrading electrical work, installing a new air conditioner or hot water heater building permits are required. Below is a road map of questions to help you through the process:
- Building a new single family residence? Building Permit Application[PDF]
- Making changes to an existing structure, residential or commercial? Regardless if you are a homeowner or business, depending on the changes you are making, a permit will be required. Please contact Community Development to have them help you through the process.
- Changing out an Air Conditioner, a Building Permit application needs to be filled out plus, the
- Changing only the signage on a business? View the Sign Permit Checklist [PDF], then fill out the Building Permit Application.
- Are you changing your roof? You must following the Florida Building Code and we have added some documents in our documents center, to help you, but always follow the Florida Building code.
You can now apply for building permits online:http://selfserv.inverness-fl.gov/http
Any construction over $2500.00 requires Notice of Commencement [PDF] and Inspection Requests. For changes to an existing structure, the need to complete these forms may vary depending on the renovation. It is strongly suggested, when doing renovation type work, that you contact the Community Development staff, so that they may help guide you through the necessary paperwork to help your business get off to a good start.
If you are a contractor who frequently requests permits, you can establish an Escrow Account allowing paperwork to flow through the process more quickly, Call the Community Development Department to find out how Escrow Application
Building new structures, as well as renovation work which changes a buildings use, can be subject to an Impact Fee charge. The City of Inverness is able to accomodate new business investment and residential growth at a reduced rate due to existing infrastructure.