207 N Apopka

McLeod House McLeod House
Built around 1915, this house at 207 N. Apopka Avenue is most remembered for the McLeod Family who lived here from 1941-1998. Oscar Penn McLeod was born to a pioneer family near Perry, Florida. He was awarded a teaching certificate in 1918 and married Mayo Artie Reams at the Greenville Baptist Pastorium, Greenville, Florida, on September 8, 1918. He furthered his education through a correspondence course in "higher accounting", leading to a CPA degree.

After the move to Inverness in 1927, he worked as a bookkeeper for many local businesses and with Work Projects Administration (WPA) as superintendent/supervisor/timekeeper for Citrus County School construction projects. In the 1940's he was appointed as an auditor for the State of Florida Attorney General's office. His work there resulted in his being hired by John Ringling North of Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey Circus of Sarasota where he worked until his death. He served as a school trustee in Citrus County while raising 12 children here - 10 boys and 2 girls.

McLeod House plaque For 28 years there was a McLeod boy on the Citrus High School football team - Coach Walt Connors described them as born athletes! Many Citrus County children fondly remember going to the McLeod House - with 12 children, there was always someone in the yard ready to play.

O.P. McLeod died in 1947 and Mayo McLeod died in 1982. The property was purchased by Richard and Sandra Dixon in 1999 and transformed it into a boutique and tearoom, retaining the name "The McLeod House". Photos of all 12 McLeod children can be viewed in the foyer of the house. Since it's dedication in October 2004, the building has housed interesting restaurant fare.