301 W Main St - Carter House

Carter House
This house was built in 1903 for George Carter, Citrus County's third sheriff. The Carter House was the first house in Inverness to have a bathroom and was one of the first 13 buildings in Inverness to be "wired up" when electricity came to Citrus County in 1913.

It is reported that the Governor suspended Sheriff Carter and launched an investigation of his alleged misconduct in not preventing the lynching of a black man who was accused of, but not tried for, the killing of a local man named Robert Russell. His removal caused an uproar among the citizens who felt the popular Sheriff had been treated unfairly. He was later reinstated by the Governor.

Unveiling the Carver Walk Plaque Clinton D. Shultz, who successfully partnered with J.L. Connell in the agriculture and mining business, raised his family here. Mr. Shultz's daughter, who is fondly remembered as "Miss Virginia", married long-time County Clerk of Courts, Francis "Cowboy" Williams. The Mitchell's later owned the house, offering room and board.

The house was then purchased and restored by George & Carol Derewenko and Joe & Linda Bega in 1986. The building was dedicated in 2003.